Channelkirk and Lauder Church

 

410

D R A F T  M I N U T E

………    of meeting of Channekirk and Lauder Kirk Session held on Tuesday 15 September 2020 from 7.00pm via “Zoom Conference”.

 

I          CONSTITUTION

The meeting was constituted by our Interim Moderator with a Bible reading from Philippians chapter 4, verses 4-9, and with prayer.

 

II         ATTENDANCE AND APOLOGIES

There were 9 Elders present with our Moderator, 5 apologies were also received, all recorded in the Sederunt book.

 

III        APPROVAL OF MINUTE OF 4 AUGUST 2020

Minute was approved as an accurate record of the meeting.

 

IV        MATTERS ARISING

4.1          Risk assessments

Session Clerk reported that they have been completed for each Church.

4.2          Safeguarding Co-ordinator

No progress as yet, Mrs. Rhona Neil declined to take on this position.  Session Clerk to continue search for a Co-ordinator and one other panel member.

4.3          Church web-site

On Session’s behalf, Session Clerk thanked Mr. Graeme Donald for both setting up and maintaining the web-site.

 

V         REPORTS

5.1          Finance (including Doughty)

Assistant Treasurer gave a resume of our financial situation.  Income is down, due to no Church services; no offering envelopes being received.  He encouraged all members to give green envelopes to our Gift Aid Convener, who has offered to count, and bank the money.

Tosh Bequest:  The amount of the bequest is being invested in a “growth fund” account, it will be called, “Tosh Bequest fund”.

Doughty Bequest:  A Doughty Bequest report has been circulated to Session.  Session Clerk agreed to ask Doughty Bequest Treasurer for a fuller report before our next meeting.

5.2          Presbytery//

 

411

 

5.2          Presbytery

Presbytery Elder was thanked for her very full report from last meeting of Presbytery.

5.3          Fabric Report:  Channelkirk, Lauder and manse

Moderator stated all fabric matters for both Churches and manse should have been detailed on one spreadsheet, not by three separate reports.

Fabric Committee to be asked to compile a list of all items requiring attention.

Session agreed that Fabric Committee arrange for the work required for the manse to be carried out, in order that the manse can be rented out.  Once this is done, General Trustees will help us with procedures required to rent it out.

5.4          East wing project

A report was sent to all Session members and Moderator.

After some discussion, Session noted the progress report for this project, but at this time not to take this project forward.   This proposal was both proposed and seconded, then agreed by Session.

 

VI         OPENING OF CHURCHES

Session agreed to open Churches for morning worship as follows:

Session Clerk to send Risk Assessment forms and buildings check list form to Presbytery.  We can only re-open with Presbytery approval of these two forms.

Assuming Presbytery give us the go-ahead, it was agreed to have one morning worship each Sunday, alternating between our 2 churches, at 10.30am.

First service:  Channelkirk 10.30am on 4 October 2020.

Second service:  Lauder 10.30am on 11 October 2020.

72 hours before first worship in each of the Churches, clean Church as normal, sanitizing at same time.  Then a normal clean before the next worship in 2 weeks time.  Worship would last about half an hour.

All wishing to attend would be required to book their place by calling Session Clerk on Friday evening, giving name and telephone number.  Maximum of 20 in Channelkirk and 35 in Lauder.

 

VII        IDEA OF SOCIAL ENTERPRISE GROUP

Carried over to next meeting.

 

VIII       PROPOSAL

Develop a garden of Biblical Flowers at Channelkirk and Lauder Churches.  Carried over to next meeting.

 

IX         BLYTHSWOOD CARE SHOEBOX APPEAL//

412

 

Session Clerk confirmed this appeal goes ahead.  He suggested he could send out an e-mail to all members asking them to leave their shoeboxes at Carfraemill Hotel for collection.  Session agreed.

Harvest Thanksgiving:

Moderator suggested a monetary donation to local foodbank.  A collection plate to be placed in vestibule on the Sunday when Harvest Thanksgiving is celebrated.

 

X          ARMISTICE ARRANGEMENTS

Wreaths will be ordered for Channelkirk and Lauder Churches.

Crosses planted at Lauder War Memorial and Oxton War Memorial on Wednesday 11 November 2020, times to be confirmed.

Armistice Sunday:-  8 November 2020.

A member of our Worship Team, Mr. Ian Brotherston, to lead a small act of remembrance at Lauder War Memorial at 10.30am.

Service in Lauder Church thereafter.

Session Clerk will lead a small act of remembrance at Oxton War Memorial from 10.30am.  Numbers at both limited to 20 people for outdoor gatherings.  Social distancing to be observed.

 

XI         ANY MODERATOR’S ITEMS

Moderator reminded Session that on Sunday 11 October from 7.00pm we meet with 2 representatives from “Place for Hope” via “Zoom Conference”.

 

XII        DATE OF NEXT MEETING

TUESDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2020 AT 7.00PM

 

XIII       BENEDICTION

The meeting ended with the Benediction.

 

 

Rev. Sheila Moir                                                                     William Anderson

Interim Moderator                           date                             Clerk